The following is the Gates Foundation response to questions about global warming. Rec'd Feb.16, 2009
Subject: RE: Quick questions about Global Warming - Climate Destabilization
Thank you for reaching out to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Early on, Bill and Melinda Gates agreed to focus on a few areas of giving, choosing where to place their money by asking two questions: Which problems affect the most people? And which have been neglected in the past? With that in mind, they decided that the three areas where we can make the greatest difference are improving global health, giving people a chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty, and strengthening education in the United States. (Read more at: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/about/Pages/bill-melinda-gates-letter.aspx).
The foundation believes that climate change is a major issue facing all of us. The implications, however, are especially dire for people in developing countries because they are primarily in tropical areas and rely heavily on agriculture and other sectors most vulnerable to changes in their environment. They also have the fewest resources to adapt to these changes.
While the foundation is not directly involved in climate change efforts, our work in global health and development-including efforts to cultivate drought-resistant crops and strengthen health systems-helps communities adapt to changes in the environment. Ultimately, we take action, including our global health and development work, to empower people to make their communities more resilient to all the challenges they face, including climate change.
The following web links should also be useful to you:
• Information about the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation trust: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/about/Pages/gates-foundation-asset-trust.aspx
• Financial information about both the foundation and the asset trust: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/about/Pages/financials.aspx
• Investment policy information: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/about/Pages/our-investment-philosophy.aspx
• Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/about/Pages/frequently-asked-questions-foundation.aspx
• Bill Gates' annual letter (in which he discusses the effects of climate change on agricultural development): http://www.gatesfoundation.org/annual-letter/Pages/2009-agricultural-development-africa-asia.aspx
Foundation Media Team
From: Richard Pauli [email@example.com]
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 12:40 PM
Subject: Quick questions about Global Warming - Climate Destabilization
To the Media Relations Dept,
I hope you can help me with a few questions about the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
As a blogger and citizen journalist with a very small readership to
http://theboywhodeniedwolf.com, I have been looking into the issue of global warming and changes ahead.
If you will permit a few questions, I hope these are simple enough to respond with links.
Regarding the foundation asset trust investments:
Do you have a current list of stock holdings?
As the Trust will not invest in tobacco stocks; are there other categories of stocks that are forbidden? Such as military weaponry, coal companies, etc?
Does the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have any stated policy on
global climate change or climate destabilization or global warming?
Does the Foundation make any grants directly related to adaptation or mitigation of climate change?
Thank you so much for your response,